>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

need advice on a conceal and carry!!!

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby JustBen » Sun May 23, 2010 8:40 am

Goanra:

One of the guys I shot with two weeks ago said his Kahr 9mm would not rack by hand like you mentioned. He had to set the slide lock and let it go every time he reloaded. Is that a break in issue, a person with low hand strength or a design/manufacturing issue?
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Sun May 23, 2010 1:52 pm

JustBen, I never had a Kahr, but it seems the slide should lock open when empty. Then put in a new mag & either depress slide release or just pull back on the slide & let it 'slap' a round in.

I've heard Kahrs have a tough spring, but the slide should fully chamber a round when the slide release is pressed.

If the slide release lever is seating the 1st new round off the mag properly, then it is working properly.

My PT745 won't do that, yet, even after 400 rounds & 2 extreme cleanings.

I'm hoping mine just needs to be broke in with use & doesn't need a stronger spring.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby lrgcal4fun » Mon May 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Hay Gents,

Kahr does recommend a break in period. Their guns are notoriously tight. But if its not functioning properly after the recommended period then it defiantly needs to go back to the factory. I've never owned a Kahr but I have friends who do and wouldn't carry anything els.
lrgcal4fun

Postby GOANRA » Tue May 25, 2010 2:39 pm

I spoke with JustBen & the issue was resolved as operator error.

Several of my coworkers in LE used the Kahr 9mm as a BUG &/or off duty carry and swore by them for many years... despite being trashed on so many Internet reviews.

After a career in LE [Detroit area] I've never learned of a citizen needing more than 2 rounds to diffuse a deadly confrontation.

I have been reading accounts of the "Armed Citizen" in the NRA magazines for decades and the same holds true.

In reality, the BG most often disappears as the good citizen draws his weapon, but these cases are rarely reported to the authorities as their actions will only be painfully scrutinized.

My favorite CC is a lightweight, 5 shot snubbie in .357 Mag or 38spl +P with shrouded or bobbed hammer. Effective, very few parts and they always go 'BANG'.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Ratsass » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Problem with the Kahrs are with the magazines. The bullets all point downward except for the top two. The bullets have to "shift position" to be aligned with the too steep feed ramp. I experienced several malfunctions where the bullet did not pop up the proper alignment and hung up on the ramp. A sharp rap on the butt brings the round into battery. This doesn't happen often, but often enough that I cannot trust Kahr with my life. The guns are great. The magazines are the problem. Don't know why they are designed this way. I've had three Kahrs and they all experienced this problem.
Ratsass

Postby JustBen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:45 pm

This is one of the reasons I practice "tap-rack" when at the range. I randomly put empty brass in my Glock magazine so I intentionally get misfeeds and failures to fire. This way I practice how to clear the gun without having to think about it. It happens to the best of guns, and especially when handling them under stress, (especially when you are not that good to begin with like me).

I practiced emergencies while I was a professional pilot, so everything would be automatic when and if a real emergency happened. Even with all that practice, the first few seconds in an emergency your mind does not want to believe something bad is actually about to happen to you and you freeze, (happened to me the first time I lost an engine, but not the second and third times). Therefore I practice as many worst case scenarios as possible while at the range.
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:11 pm

I was surprised to read that you placed empty brass in your magazines to practice FTF's. I kind of do something similar, I put snap caps in mine and I experience a FTF and FTE. Your method also offers something similar to a jam. Interesting!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby g4l » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:07 pm

I do the same with empty brass. Sometimes I'll load a few in the mag with the live rounds, and I'll also create stovepipes. I have snap-caps, but I can't go crawling around the floor of an indoor range to pick them up.lol Dropping the hammer on empty brass will make you aware of jerking the trigger, too.
g4l

Postby JustBen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:45 pm

If the empty brass is in good shape it loads in my Glock every time, so I like the real nasty ones that are bent up etc... You can also have your buddy do the random load so you do not know when it is going to jam, (not that I would remember anyway).

Also I have a spare magazine on my belt so if I cannot clear the jam I practice pulling the old magazine out, (which may now be stuck) and loading a new one. I also always pull my mags out and throw them down on every reload. If they are empty it does not usually hurt them especially if I am at an outside range. I do not want to get in the habit of taking the time to put my magazines back in my pocket or on a shelf and then be found shot in a real situation trying to neatly put my magazines away so they dont get bent. Ill spend the $30 for a busted magazine if it means being better prepared.
JustBen

Postby pirouge » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:14 pm

get a Bersa, problems solved
pirouge

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry