>
Board Index Serious Shooters Competition

Any IPSC Shooters out there?

Talk with others interested in local competitions or involved in IPSC, IDPA, or other competition shooting.

Any IPSC Shooters out there?

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:53 am

We need to get this thread active again! We've got entirely too many members that are interested in this sort of competition and not near enough information. I'd appreciate it if any of you dead eye's would explain this for the membership. Thanks!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:06 pm

FUN!! As I write this, I have a sun burn and my legs are sore but I had a blast, I am "recovering" from a local shoot. I describe it as "a maze with targets" that is scored for time, accurcy and safety. The score for safety is simple, if you are safe you get to stay, if not you are disqualified. I don't realy understand the time and point part of it. There is some computer program that they use to figure the standings. There is so much to say about the sport. I know the rules and can answer any questions. Basicly, anyone can do it. 9mm or higher caliber, round count for a stage is between 12 and 32, so your number of mags will very. 99.99% of the people there are super friendly (as most gun people are) and will go to any length to help you get started. Advice is ALLWAYS free and usualy helpfull. The safety standards are high use your head, listen th the range officer and you will be fine. Questions?
NCCCCWteacher

Postby Simmonds0307 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:01 pm

I am new to this and am very interested. The gun club where I live has ipsc practical pistol competitions that I'm interested to start out with. I am looking at getting a pistol, maybe a smith and wesson sigma. I don't know if this would be a good gun for this or not. I want a gun I can use for this and to carry. Any suggestions on what pistols would be good or just any general advice? Thanks.
Simmonds0307

Postby whitehood » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm not an IPSC shooter, my experience was in IDPA. I've attended a number of IPSC matches and many former IDPA shooters are those who can't move up in classification. You're talking about shooting the IPSC production division which is the least competitive and the Sigma is an approved weapon in this class, but likely you'll get laughed at for bringing one. I really doubt the Sigma will be able to take the pounding that you'll give it if you intend to become competitive. I'd suggest a Glock but the Rugers and especially CZ's will give you a decent introductory weapon. Even in the production division, the IPSC is all about competition and winning. Glock, H&K, ParaOrdnance LDA, Beretta and Sig are going to dominate in this category because equipment matters and shaving fractions of seconds off means the difference from winning and losing and that's what most shooters who stick with IPSC want. Here's what I don't like about IPSC. It's all about winning and the competition. To shoot the courses well, you will be forced to make what a lot of pistol gurus consider tactical errors and in a real life situation the bad habits you develop may get you killed. IDPA has, in my opinion, a lot more comraderie and the shooting situations are much more realistic with real life tactical situations becoming more apparent. My two cents.
whitehood

Postby Simmonds0307 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:07 pm

I have actually decided on the beretta px4 storm 40 cal instead of the sigma. Can u tell me about IDPA?
Simmonds0307

Return to Competition