>
Board Index Serious Shooters Competition

colt army single action

Talk with others interested in local competitions or involved in IPSC, IDPA, or other competition shooting.

colt army single action

Postby MarkGrimes » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:05 pm

is colt army single action the top of the line for cowboy shooting?
MarkGrimes

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:32 am

Not necessarily Mark but the Colt SAA is one of the finest revolvers on the block. Why do you ask? Here's a good place to start doing some research http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby whitehood » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 am

I'll agree with that statement. I don't do CAS but I have a good friend who does Cowboy Mounted Shooting which is a bit different. He says most people use the Ruger Vaquero for a variety of reasons. It's relatively cheap, virtually indestructable in relationship to SAA clones and doesn't need a lot of modifications. Some people will choose to have a trigger job and will modify the grips to suit hand size, but that's about all that needs to be done. This is coming from a guy who can afford what he wants. He says that some people will have Colt Custom Shop SAA's and other heavily modified or custom pistols but in his discipline it doesn't provide much if any advantage other than you want them.

That being said, he tells me that the extra weight is an advantage in mounted shooting but is not necessarily a good thing in CAW. The very best firearms are in CAW are custom shop weapons with companies like Cylinder and Slide either building or heavily modifying weapons like the Ruger. He says the company with the best reputation out of the box is called US Firearms, which costs more bucks than the Ruger but a lot less than custom shop weapons.
whitehood

Return to Competition