>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Reloading

New Category!

For reloaders and related equipment such as presses, dies, trimmers, scales, and bullet molds.

Postby Mark4 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:39 pm

find Dillon in the Blue press magazine.
Mark4

Postby aa0yy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks fellas.... well thats an assumption nobody is female. Name here is Mark. The AA0YY is my ham radio callsign and I just use it for all my user names everywhere so less for me to remember or forget.

Lrgcal4fun.... tnx for the links, I think I will start with some manuals on reloading.

JudgeParker.... I forget where I heard it but someone told me that they thought LEE made the dies for all the other brand names. I'm curious if you or anyone can confirm or deny that.

Mark4.... also curious as to why you say "never load the old one at a time stuff" ??? I realize the advantages of speed are obvious but it just kind of reminds me of the old story about the young bull and old bull talking on top of the hill... I won't go into that here but possibly going the slower one at a time route might be one of those things I might regret? or is there more?

another question how much of a savings is reloading your own? like what percentage of savings? I am just wondering how long it will take for the reloader to pay for itself. also, can you reload with whatever bullet you want... like Wad cutters or hollow point etc???
aa0yy

Postby lrgcal4fun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi Mark,

I load, the old one at a time. Which, when you read the techniques in the manuals, you'll see really isn't one at at time. The press I uses simple has a single stage, so you run all your cases through each stage as a batch. The alternative is a progressive stage press that will preform the functions of several stages at the same time. The advantage is speed, the disadvantage is less precession. It all depends on what you are looking for. I like to inspect each case at each stage of the process, slower but I end up with better ammo.

You should be able to save as much as 50%, depending on the components you use.
lrgcal4fun

Postby Mark4 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Yes I keep one of those for special long range Perfection but I can't stand the manotny of trying to make 1000 rounds like that.
Mark4

Postby judgeparker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 pm

I don't think Lee makes dies for the other company's but their dies will fit all most all of the big guys although I am not sure about Dillon having never used one. A single stage O press is a good way to start but you have to be very careful not to double charge the cases with powder. A simple progressive with auto powder drop will negate that problem. You can load just about any type of bullet you want to as long as it is the correct caliber and your manual has data for it. The problem with rolling your own is you wont save money because you will shoot more, but isn't that whole idea. How long it takes for the press to pay for itself depends on how much you use it. I have an O press I use to custom load my rifle cartridges but I use the turret press for my pistol loads.
judgeparker

Postby Mark4 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I would think Lee made all the same things Dillon does. It was not my intention to say dillion was any better than the others.
Mark4

Postby aa0yy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Well fellas,

I visited a small local gun store and there was a good ole boy in there that just happened to have his "Dillon" press in his trunk. He brought it in and demo it for me and I get the idea of the progressive sets and their advantages. I was very impressed with the "Dillon" He also sent me home with a Blue Press catalog and if nothing else the model on the front has brought me some pleasure. I also found lots of internet videos that were helpful to me, as are all of your comments on this post have been. This particular U-Tube video came in three segments and this guy was using a single stage press. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPXqDrqjE4 JUDGE..... I get the idea that this will not save me more money because I will just shoot more HAHA. But it sounds like everyone that has responded to me has both a progressive set up and a single stage set up. So I think I will start with a single and see how it goes. You have all been very helpful and patient with this newbie's questions.

Thanks allot,

Mark
aa0yy

Postby lrgcal4fun » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Your Welcome! Its a pleasure to be of help!
lrgcal4fun

Postby judgeparker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:49 pm

You are most welcome if you have any questions no matter how silly they seem please ask. This forum has some of the nicest and knowledgeable people of any forum I have seen. what one of us doesn't know somebody else will.
judgeparker

Postby Mark4 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:20 am

Silly Question? Can we shoot 10mm in a 40 cal ruger?
Mark4

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading