>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Gunsmithing

Refinishing - Sandblasting

Discuss cleaning or modification of your weapon in order to maintain or upgrade reliability and performance.

Refinishing - Sandblasting

Postby Sportingclay13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 am

The paint and body shops are using regular ''flour'' put in a bead blaster on some antique vehics. this removes any rust, paint etc without any problems to the metal.
Sportingclay13

Postby Weaponsengineere » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:44 am

Hi all, im new to the sight and love it. I am a mechanical engineer and I know alot about refinishing metals and the materials used to prep surfaces. The finish you are going to apply dictates what type of media you are going to use to prep the surface. Powder was mentioned, body shops use powder, baking soda, real professional body shops who restore exotic cars use ground nut shells. The reason for this is they have minimal affect on the material you are working on leaving it as close to it's original state as possible. Sand opens the natural pores of the material allowing the applied coating to soak into them and grab hold (so to speak). Glass and plastic beads close the pores of the material. So you see why you must determine what type of coating you are going to apply, what type of material you are going to apply the coating to, and use the media that will compliment the adhesion of the coating to the material. I hope you find this information helpful.
Weaponsengineere

Postby FLOTUS » Sat May 28, 2011 11:24 am

FLOTUS

Postby osnixpero » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:23 pm

First, dont sandblast any firearm. It will screw with the built in tolerances of the arm. I would suggest first, depending on how rusty. do a complete tear down, at least to the point of your confidence, and put the parts into a bucket of parts cleaner called berrymans. I use it in my shop on clients guns and it works well. A BIG CAUTION HERE- IF ANY OF THE ARM IS ALUMINUM THE SOAK WILL TAKE ALL OF THE FINISH OFF! Let the thing soak from a day to no more than a week, by then all the crud that will come off has. Remove the arm and dry it complete, an air hose works well here. Then begin your refinish program.
osnixpero

Return to Gunsmithing