>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Gunsmithing

What is the best over all cleaning preserve of gun

Discuss cleaning or modification of your weapon in order to maintain or upgrade reliability and performance.

What is the best over all cleaning preserve of gun

Postby Rocket11213 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi, I would like to get some advise as to the best easyest way to clean my gun afte shooting at the range. be it pistols or rifle or shotgun. the worst part after shooting at range is the clening of a firearm. I been told before fish shooting fire last few rounds with FMJ, this will remove move of target load lead, so I been told. Next is Use Lead wipe away cloths? vs I been told TLC prentrate and preserve let this soak and then use brass brush and wipes .

As many of of know well at least me. Cleaning can be so time consuming I gotten discourage to go back to range to shoot. do to the labor of cleaning and also time in between going to range I like my foirearm to be and remain not just clean but protected. I have Reminton lube an clean, CLP, etc.

I really would like to get back into range shooting . But I would like to ask for what is the best effective fairly quick way of cleaning my firearm? Also that will protect preserve it while locked away for long periods. I would go shooting more often if cleaning was not such a hasszle. Last does firing last few rounds of FMJ really help remove lead from rifling? And to really proper clean firearm is just cleaming the barrle rifling and slide enough and or for revolvers also cylinders enough . and or does the action have to taken apart and cleaned also. if yes . I hope there are some short cuts that can be taken to do a decent job. I am not a gunsmith. and just want to keep it clean and working good.
Rocket11213

Postby BrianB » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 pm

I am simply a newbie when it comes to guns and I am also sure you will get plenty of good advice from more experienced people here than me but here is a good article you could read. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12616/GunTechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives
BrianB

Postby GOANRA » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Currently, I'm using Winchester Powder Slovent in the big black spray can to hose dirty firearms down.

Then I clean interior parts with copper brushes... allowing for the brushes to be loose enough to twist enough to follow the rifling.

Hose down again, everywhere, & run a cleaning rope thru the bore until clean and clean parts after a simple field stripping.

It takes about 20 minutes per firearm. When rags are clean, gun is clean.

[I only use jacketed ammo]

All cleaning supplies come from Walmart.

Sometimes, I use WD-40 as a solvent & a protectant.

Finally, I spray everything down with Birchwood-Casey Gun 'Sheath'. Then it goes in the safe where I keep a 1 lb brick of 'Sta-DRI' dessicant [ $7.]

Good link there, Brian!
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby BrianB » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks goanra, and I was hoping you would give advice on the subject.
BrianB

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:13 pm

I've tried them all and have found one product that does absolutely everything and does it very well. It's called "Eezox". It comes in liquid and aerosol form, and works as a solvent, cleaner and protectant. There is nothing better anywhere! Try it and you'll never go back. http://eezox.com/gun-care.html
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby JustBen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:20 pm

I have heard some bad things about WD-40 penetrating your personal protection ammo, making it go click instead of bang. Maybe urban legend, but I would be careful of getting that stuff on any ammo. Cleans great but like Goanra says once clean, cover the metal with something good.
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:32 pm

WD-40 has some excellent uses, but firearms aren't one of them! Eezox is the only way to go!!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:53 pm

JustBen, no legend there. Solvents & lubes kill primers!!

Make very sure to keep all AMMO away from ALL solvents, oils, grease, butter, silicone, water, juice, beer, drool, coffee, humidity, etc.

I put ammo in a drawer of my workbench before cleaning firearms.

I was taught to use WD-40 for clean & lube, [early 80s] and let internals drip overnight in S&W 586 by dept I worked for... a weak solvent for lead [elbow grease] mild lube.

Not many good lead solvents around back then, but that 586 was 95% after 9 years of heavy use.

Solvent must be able to dissolve lead and powder to clean firearm properly. [aka dissolve ammo] Then coat external metal.

Remember to put a protective coating on 'internal' metal parts as well... I use the little red straw on the Birchwood Casey 'Sheath'.

Tig, I never heard of EEZOX, how well does it dissolve lead & powder? http://www.eezox.info/

I'm using 'Winchester spray solvent' at present [from Walmart], works the same as Birchwood Casey spray solvent [both very good], but I'm always looking for an easier/better way!!
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:34 pm

I like to tell everyone, that if your product is good, I guarantee you that Eezox is better. It does everything very well. Everyone that has tried it, have thanked me for recommending it. http://eezox.com/gun-care.html

tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Hmmm. Only $9.50 for a 7 oz spray can of EEZOX.

Description states "safe for primers" interesting. May have to give it a try.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Next

Return to Gunsmithing