>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

Best 9mm Defensive Load

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

Best 9mm Defensive Load

Postby pidevildog07 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:11 pm

I will be purchasing an XD 9mm and was wondering what were yall's thoughts on the best defensive load out there. BTW I'm leaning towards JHP.
pidevildog07

Postby ulgydog56 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:06 pm

there are some very good defence rds in 9mm,federal hydra shock,remington golden saber,hornadyftx,see witch runs best in your gun also go to manufactures ammo web sights for proformances..........
ulgydog56

Postby Noleforever9399 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Those are all great loads ulgydog named, just wanted to add a few more, Hornady tap and speer gold dot. I agree with uglydog though run some different kinds through your gun and see which it likes best.

ps there is also the Hornady zombie ammo! just in case right? lol
Noleforever9399

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:29 pm

NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Noleforever9399 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 pm

@tigwelder56-That's a good point, I haven't really thought of it like that. When I first saw it I thought it was pretty dumb but I understood why they did it, just a marketing tool to get more business. But I could definitely see how it could be misrepresented to someone who doesn't shoot or have anything to do with guns. I reallyhadn't give it a second thought up til this point but now that I do I tend to agree with you and what you are saying.
Noleforever9399

Postby Will_Carry » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:09 pm

My views on self defense ammo has changed recently. I used to say get the most expensive +P++PP with the gnarliest expansion possible. That makes perfect sense. The only thing is that I cannot afford to shot $1.25 a pop ammo. So I end up carry high quality ammo that is untried in my pistol. Now I'm think maybe I should use ammo that I shoot regularly and I know they will work and I know how they shoot.

$1 per round, Speer Gold dot 124 gr +P delivers 410 ft lbs of muzzle energy.

30 cents per round Winchester white box 115 grain JHP delivers 383 ft lbs.

Tig, have I gone completely mad?
Will_Carry

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:43 pm

No Will you haven't gone mad, just realizing that we've all reached our tolerance for the ridiculous price wars going on everywhere in this country. I understand your desire to save money but your comparison from good hollowpoint to a FMJ practice round is flawed. The HP is going to perform it's job just as well as the FMJ, but their jobs are entirely different. Stay the course, buy the best self defense load you can afford and stick with it. You don't have to go plinking with $1.25/load ammo. Make sure it functions well in your sidearm and hold onto it as long as you desire. Ammunition lasts for decades, so it's not going to go south on you in your lifetime. Then keep the practice loads for what they're designed for, practice!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Hotrod911 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:42 pm

I buy new defense ammo every couple of years and replace the older ammo that sits in the guns, not because I think it's bad but it makes me feel better, then I will use the older ammo to "test fire" the gun with the intended defense ammo. I shoot a lot of FMJ just plinking but by this method, I can get a feel for the high dollar ammo by shooting 1 magazine full of the older ammo, and not break the bank.

Hotrod
Hotrod911

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:10 am

hotrod I do the same, i think its a good practise and ballance..........
ulgydog56

Postby Will_Carry » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:49 am

What about 147 grain JHPs? Chuck Hawks hates them. He says thay are too slow (900fps). I have heard poeple counter that the NEW 147gr JHPs are better. Hickok45 likes the 147gr.

Right now I have some 9mm Speer Gold Dots and Federal Premium Elite that use.
Will_Carry

Next

Return to Ammunition