>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

+P/+P+ Ammo Information

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Hey Dog, the subject of +P .380 acp is a contentious one. First of all SAAMI, the institute that provides the data for ammunition in general, has no listings for any +P 380 acp loads at all. That indicates to the educated mind that no such round exists. But if you do some research you'll find many companies do indeed manufacture a .380.+P round. I found that most companies selling .380acp ammo in general, manufacture their loads at an average pressure of 21,500 psi, that is supported by SAAMI data as well. The proof pressures however are much higher than that, which leads me to believe that making a 380+P round would be easy. It's the firearm manufacturers that have to catch up and develop a handgun that can handle those pressures on a regular basis. Some .380 ammo states on the box, not to use it in certain pistols because it's too hot! I found a few companies that sell a higher pressure round and list it as a +P round. So you can make up your own mind on whether they exist or don't! Buffalo Bore makes the hottest load I've found, a 90gr. JHP that leaves the barrel at 1200 fps and a pressure of 288 ft/lbs. Mag Tech makes an 85gr JHP delivering 221 ft/lbs and a Corbon 90gr at 220 ft/lbs. All of them, one considerably higher than the average 215 ft/lbs.

That's enough to tell me that there are indeed some higher pressure loads available out there. But until SAAMI recognizes them, there technically isn't a +P load available. But if you ask ammo makers, that isn't necessarily true!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Gloc9mm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:03 am

Tig56, I have a question that you may be able to answer. I bought a box of Corbon Ammo a couple Weeks ago, but they seem much shorter than all other 9mm Ammo I have used. I didn't put it into my Glock because I need to test it first to be sure it works/loads. Why so different??

Thanks! (PS- If anyone else knows I would appreciate the answer)
Gloc9mm

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Hey Gloc, do you have a digital caliper? If you do, measure several of them to see if they're consistent, overall and the case alone. I have found different lots of ammunition with varying lengths. Some due to excess bullet set back and manufacturing error. There are significant differences between FMJ and HP's overall length. That can cause the issues you hear about when a FMJ round won't fit the magazine but the HP will.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Trapdoorbob » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:35 pm

My first concern would be are the cases the same? Mislabeled 380 in 9mm box??
Trapdoorbob

Postby Gloc9mm » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:55 am

Actually, both the Cases and the Rounds are both shorter. I would say roughly 1/4+ inch overall, I never measured exactly how much, But it is definitely easilly visible. (Believe it or not, In my Apt. I have nothing to measure with! lol)

It's definitely not .380 though. It seems to look like something in the middle, and I know there is nothing.

I know Glocks seem to eat anything I put in it, but this is just too large a difference, and it's my main Carry Weapon so I'm leary W/O first trying to see if a Mag Feeds correctly..
Gloc9mm

Postby Trapdoorbob » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 pm

There is a 9 mm round that is slightly shorter than 9mm Luger. If the case diameter and head are the same, it would be like shooting a 38 special in a 357 Mag, IMO. wait to see what Tig says.
Trapdoorbob

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:44 pm

What does the headstamp say? There are actually over 10 different 9mm loads, from 9x17 to 9x22.5mm, it's amazing how many there actually are. Take a look at one of my favorite lists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges

You claim that the load you have is a 1/4" shorter than your standard 9x19mm load? What about the case diameter? Hold the case ends together if you don't have anything to measure with. At this time I wouldn't even consider using it until you know what you've got. You don't want something bad to happen and risk your safety or damaging your gun.

tigwelder56

Postby Trapdoorbob » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Most of those are longer, but the 9MM MAKAROV and 9MM X 18MM ULTRA (POLICE) are both 1 mm shorter. They are both commonly sold by discount ammo sellers. The MAKAROV is NOT interchangable with the 9 mm Luger. I couldn't fiind anything on the ULTRA and don't know where my cartridge books are right now.
Trapdoorbob

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Here's some info on the Ultra:

9 mm Ultra (9 mm Police, 9x18 mm) .355 in (9.0 mm) .720 in (18.3 mm) 1.030 in (26.2 mm) Rimless

Bullet length, case length and overal length...

tigwelder56

Postby Trapdoorbob » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 pm

I found that, but it doesn't give any info on the head.
Trapdoorbob

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition