>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg Maverick 88 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Mossberg Maverick 88 Reviews

Postby MagnumAl » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:31 pm

This is a shotgun. Simple to use. Simple to load. Easy to point. I have had no malfunctions due to workmanship or ammo. Comes with the pistol grip, which I removed due to personal preference.

I paid 200$ new for this shotgun. It is my housegun, i keep it with the max 7 in the tube so the 'click-click' deterrent effect will occur if I need ever be in a defensive situation. I lose the extra one and keep the chamber empty.

I load mine with #4 buckshot and 00 buckshot, staggered.

Recoil is punishing, but it is a 12 gauge gun. Muzzle flip is negligible. Effect is devastating on paper targets, not to mention soda bottles.
MagnumAl

Postby HIPoint4Life » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:25 pm

I saw one at the gun show and what has me interested in the weapon is the price, load capacity and its look. I see the load styles very wit the weapons. I'm fluent in handguns and not shotguns can someone help me.
HIPoint4Life

Postby Sapper » Tue May 20, 2008 10:55 am

Its a Mossberg 500 with a different name. My brother owns a Mossberg 500 police riot. I have used it enough to know it is one of the best shotguns ever made. I bought the Model 88 for 150 brand new about a year ago, I have not been disappointed. This is every bit as reliable and easy to operate as the 500 and the parts are interchangable between the two shotguns. I have used this shotgun from snakes to clay pigeons, and home defense. I would highly recomend buying one. The only difference between the 500 and the model 88 is where the safety is located. Great gun, most bang for your buck.
Sapper

Postby coolpapacatdj » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:19 pm

It does my heart good to hear the praises of the Maverick 88 being sung! It's a beauty and a joy to shoot. I have 'Nonie' (I call mine Nonie) handy for home defense. My main line of defense being my carry piece. I take my Maverick to the range every chance I get. I don't hunt, but I kill the hell outta paper targets! LOL
coolpapacatdj

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:05 pm

I've got one of these baby's and love it! I just installed a red dot sight on it and it really compliments the shotgun. I find the red dot a perfect sight for a scattergun, eyes open sights are a huge plus IMO. Do any of you have a pistol grip installed on yours? I'm curious how you like or dislike the control following installation.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby chris18 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 am

I bought the 5+1 security and ATI pistol grip at a gun show a month ago and love it. The main difference between Mavericks and Mossbergs seem to be the safety, lack of sling swivel and forend. While shooting I did have a few instance where the gun was jamming and I wasn't able to cycle the action but it freed up after a few tries (and that is the only reason I won't give it a 5/5 ). This happened about once per 100 rounds and it was the first time I'd used the gun so it wasn't just a maintenance issue. Everything is compatible with the mossberg 500. Using the pistol grip becomes highly uncomfortable after 20 rounds but would be well suited for home defense where 1-5 rounds would be all that's fired. I plan on getting a 24" barrel for skeet shooting.
chris18

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Having operated a Skeet and Trap Club, I wouldn't recommend a pump shotgun for Skeet. It can be done but why? It's interesting to try but in competition I chose the Rem. 1100. I didn't have an OU, which would've been far better than a pump gun but they are also brutal on your shoulder after a day of practice and competition.

What type of ammo were you using when you experienced the problems? I tried some of the Wolf 00 Buck and the Sellior & Belloit 00 Buck with dismal results. I had trouble with ejection primarily. I thought I had an ejector problem initially but a change to USA ammunition solved it immediately. Another example of learning that cheap foreign ammunition can get you killed.

Welcome to the forum!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby chris18 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:57 am

I was using Winchester #8 game and target as well as Federal #7.5. We were just grabbing whatever box was closer so I can't say for sure which rounds were the ones jamming. Hopefully I can get a weekend off work to try some more. This was my first shotgun and I wanted something versatile and really the only thing it's missing is a more comfortable buttstock.
chris18

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:04 am

Hi Chris, I forgot to tell you about this stock system earlier in our conversations. You really need to look at these stocks and I recommend you Google the name and look at how these baby's perform! The price is extremely reasonable for the performance improvement they provide. Look at them and tell me what you think! Very COOL!! It's the Knoxx Stock System and they come in all sorts of great flavors!

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012785224733a.shtml

tigwelder56

Postby chris18 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 pm

ah yes, I have heard and looked into the Knoxx stocks, but a $100+ buttstock isn't in my budget, at least for a paycheck or two since I just paid for school. I'm sure the lessened recoil would help eliminate the flinching as well. The site here seems to be having some issues so I can't add my picture so I uploaded it to Flikr instead. side saddle is from TacStar, 6-shot holder but I'm keeping one blank for a future light mount.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8582042@N06/3218646142/
chris18

Next

Return to Shotguns