>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

L.C Smith

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

L.C Smith

Postby Dgreen » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:18 am

I came into a 16 ga side by side L.C. Smith shot gun i have know idea what i have?

It is in really good shape for its age i looked on the L.C Smith site i think with the serrial # 60346 it is 1897 any help of value please. I do have some good photos if some one could tell me how to post them.
Dgreen

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:17 pm

I'm unable to track down an LC Smith with a serial number in the 60XXX range at all. Are you sure of that number? What type of barrel does the shotgun have?
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Dgreen » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Here is a pic maybe i am missing somthing.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/Dgreen028/

Thanks
Dgreen

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:34 pm

No, you didn't miss anything but I'm going to have to do some additional research on this one! There's a group of guy's I'm going to track down for you that are cataloging all of these early model LC Smiths and Hunters from the late 1800's. According to the information I've gathered thus far, I'm told that there is very little information documented on those old shotguns and they're trying hard to get in touch with guys like you so they can get it. I can't help you tonight but I will get to work on it ASAP for you. I hope that helps!! Take care!

Tig

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Dgreen » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Tig thank you so much for all your help. Will keep looking for awnsers if i find anything before you i will post it here.

Thanks agian.
Dgreen

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:27 pm

@Dgreen: Here's the contact info for the people I mentioned. They leave email and phone numbers on the right. But check the rest of the site out, it's very interesting! Good luck with this! Tig

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/data.html You might want to join this board and "Ask the Expert" http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/lc-smith-double-barrell-made-in-fulton-ny-3333342.html

tigwelder56

Postby Dgreen » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks tig i went to the site an left a message on the board will see what they come up with. Will post here with results thanks agian.
Dgreen

Re: L.C Smith

Postby Foster Grant » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Your 16 gauge O (field grade) LC Smith, made by Hunter Arms in Fulton NY pre-dates 1900- the bushed firing pins and the rotary joint check (the two tranverse milled pin notches in the receiver floor-aka- water table tell me that- what are the markings on the barrels- on the top rib extension and also on the flats- that info will help me more- Are you sure it is a 16 gauge- as Smith, like many other American makers of double shotguns, didn't mark the gauge of their guns- pre-1900 rotary joint check/cam extractor Smiths are sometimes confused by the unknowing as being "ejector" guns, but they are not- the rotary cam with the protruding pins set into the barrel lug acts as both a joint check, and also as a extractor to life the shells, whether fired or not, up from the breech face about 1/4" for removal when unloading or re-loading the weapon- Your gun will have a two-position safety with a large 'window" in the middle of the safety slide- SAFE in large letters will show in the middle position, moving it forward drops the safety lugs from engaging the triggers, and will allow it to be fired, and when you open the gun with the top lever, a internal push rod will move the safety engagement bar back to the safe position- this is known as an "automatic" tang safety- if you move the safety slide to the rear until it stops, you will have to move it forward to the safe position after firing- this is known as an "non-automatic safety" and Smith offered it as an option up until about 1930- on special order- back when you gun was made, live bird and clay pigeon shoots were popular, some pigeon guns were even ordered without a safety at all- Also- NEVER: (1) dry fire a Smith withour spring loaded snap caps in the chambers, and (2) never dis-assemble a Smith into the three basic field stripping groups-: barrels, forearm and stock receiver group- until you have opened the gun to re-cock the hammers- and you gun will have either 2.5" or 2.685" short chambers, do NOT fire it with any 2 & 3/4" long shells-- I specialize in collecting, shooting and stocking parts and doing mechanical repairs on Smiths--
Foster Grant

Return to Shotguns