>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Smith & Wesson Model 642 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Smith & Wesson Model 642 Reviews

Postby OlBlueSmoke » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:26 am

I'm surprised to be the first to review this revolver. This aluminum framed, 5 shot, .38 caliber pocket gun weighs in at only 15 ounces unloaded and is double action only. It is rated for +P rounds and is a great little gun to plink with at the range and is also light on the hip when carried concealed.

If you can master the double action trigger pull you can master any trigger system. These guns can be pricey so look around but if you get one you will be very happy with the high quality, great fit and finish and S&W has a great warranty to cover you if any problem arises.
OlBlueSmoke

Postby cutter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 pm

I have two of them my wife carries them it's perfect for her and the price brand new at the gun show last year was $300

This is a good CC if you prefer revolvers, hammerless and pretty light it's made for concealment, some what of a matt finsih more like a bead blasted knive...and its a SW
cutter

Postby shoe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:08 am

I think this is the most ideal concealed carry handgun out there. 100% reliable, simple to operate, endless ammo selection (including + P), endless holster options, endless grip options (including lasers), and weighs in at 15 oz. This revolver is worth its weight in gold if and when you might need it.
shoe

Postby 1ofEA » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Picked up the CT version about two years ago. Have only put a few rounds through it and it is flawless. I only wish I had the additional money back then to buy the 340CT version in .357. I still regret it, only in that I always wanted a S&W .357. If I could get good money for it, I would sell it and buy the 340CT and then get the Ruger LCR in .38 instead just to finish out my collection.
1ofEA

Postby chuckroast » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:24 pm

I own two of these bad-boys. So of course I love this little gun. I reload @ 20% light load for my wife and these things run flawlessly as you would expect. This may be the best choice for an under the car seat gun!

Great gun reviews @: www.pocket-defense.com
chuckroast

Postby John_Doe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

I just bought a 642-2 for my daughter (photo #3). I got it for her because it is simple to use and easy to conceal. I have several of the Airweight 38's in my collection 442, 637, and now her 642. They are super guns.
John_Doe

Postby GOANRA » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 pm

I couldn't find a great price on one of these, so I went with the new Charter Arms 'On Duty' model, 38spl, +P rated, 12 oz, with the shrouded hammer [allows for SA] with Lifetime Warranty.

I used to have the S&W model 36 & the Bodyguard DAO model for years + a CA 'Pug' [.357 Mag & 21 oz + optional bobbed hammer] for off duty carry [12 years on the 'Pug']. All 2 inch revolvers.

Lately, I find myself grabbing a rev instead of a semi when I go out.

Especially with these Super-lightweights.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Maluus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 am

Bought one for me GF (her first ever weapon) to use for CCDW and she loves it -- she's dead on at 20ft with the Crimson Trace Laser. Recommend to anyone for CCDW!
Maluus

Postby 1911ES » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:15 pm

I picked up the 642 for a summer carry weapon ... and this .38 is a top quality little revolver. Very accurate for the size, and perfcet for CCW. Suprised at how comfortable it aims and shoots, with very light recoil for a snubbie.
1911ES

Postby fletchwe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 am

Bought the S&W 642 for the features. S&W's reputation is a given. Weight was a primary consideration. A concealed hammer to avoid snagging was equally important. This firearm is light enough so that you may almost forget you're carrying. That's a +. Surprisingly light amount of recoil for a lightweight firearm and accuracy can be achieved easily with only a few rounds. Difficult for a wheel gun to fail under any circumstance. Semi-auto user's complaints about the limit of 5 rounds means only one thing. A 38 has plenty of stopping power and if it takes more than 5 rounds to stop an aggressor, you just plain haven't practiced enough.
fletchwe

Next

Return to Revolvers