>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger GP-100 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Dharmabumz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm like you, my automatics were my goto piece, but now I've found a GP 100 and am enjoying shooting it. I'm experimenting with .38 specials loaded for 800 fps to help minimize the leading I'm told can happen with hotter .38 loads. I also picked up a brick of .357's and .38+p+ for testing which I'll plink with and which I'll use at home.

Has anyone out there found a good sight system I can replace my black-on-black factory sights with?

In case I do get some leading is there a reliable cleaner for that?
Dharmabumz

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:58 pm

I painted my front sight red with Testers model airplane paint, it helps a lot. I flip flop between carrying a semi-auto and my GP-100. When my wife and I went on vacation recently I locked my autos in the safe and brought the GP-100. Loaded with Black Hills .357 125gr JHPs. That is what I keep for home protection and while traveling in my car. I keep 2 speed loaders just in case. I don't carry 38 special ammo in my GP-100 but I do shoot 38s at the range.

I should probably go back to my full capacity semi-autos but the GP-100 is such a great shooter. I can shoot hot .357 loads with one hand with no problems. My daughter can shoot those same loads too, bless her heart. I think it's weight of the gun that softens the recoil.
Will_Carry

Postby Dharmabumz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:31 pm

I wondered if a paint like model paint, for ex, would work. When I sight black-on-black on a black target I might as well throw a rock. I agree re .38 specials for the range and and the hot stuff for home/car. I still keep my Sig P220 by the bed, but wouldn't hesitate to go for the GP 100 in time of need.

At thr range I also like to put a few .357's through it each trip, just to keep in touch with the noise/recoil/muzzle blast.

I have a shooting buddy who reloads and I'm going to learn from him, so then shooting can be less expensive.

So far my wife likes the GP. She says it's heavy but not too heavy, so tonight I'll let her shoot a few .357's and see if she still likes it.

Question: what seems to be the best brand of speedloader? All I've seen on Midway USA are the HK's. Do they hold up?

Any drawbacks to them?
Dharmabumz

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 pm

I have HKs from Midway. They work great. They are the only speed loaders I have ever used so I can't compare them to anything else. They hold the rounds well, I keep them loaded and loose in my jacket pocket or glove compartment and they have never released accidently. I practice reloading with them and haven't had any problems. I had problems using speed loaders on my M85 snubby. The cylinder didn't swing our far enough.
Will_Carry

Postby Dharmabumz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Trust your judgement...I bought a pair of HKS tonight. Lost my GP 100 however. The thief is my wife who announced she liked shooting it and that was that.:-):-)

I let her cycle through .38 specials, some .38+ and some .357's so she'd get a feel for all of them. Good news is she doesn't flinch at the.357's so that will be our home load. My buddy had his 3 inch SS Gp with him and he sowed me his painted front sight. Not artistic but it works for me. Now to search out a good .357 rifle to accompany the GP. That way if we need to go somewhere we're only carrying one kind of ammo.
Dharmabumz

Postby lastrebel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:40 am

@ dharmabumz I bought my speed loader for gp 100@ www.shop ruger.com look for tab revolers then asserceries they abought 10.95 or try cheaper than dirt.com .Btw I love my gp only wish I knew was made in 357 @ time enjoy
lastrebel

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 am

A .357 rifle! Heck Yeah! I've been looking too!
Will_Carry

Postby Dharmabumz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Well I broke down and ordered one of those red front sights from the Ruger store. Please don't anyone tell me they fall out or somesuch. Put another couple of hundred through it today.

Has anyone done a trigger job on theirs? Did it work OK? I want to drop the 11+ pounds DA trigger to around 7 lbs. Has anyone done something like that?
Dharmabumz

Postby intercooler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Should have done a hiviz. It gets better. It's a new gun so let it be for a little!
intercooler

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:08 pm

I put a couple of hundred through it today. I may well end up with a sight system like hiviz.

Yo Will I got a Henry Big Boy in .357 lever action. Put a few through it today for it's shakedown cruise so to speak. Funny, a heavy .357 rifle doesn't even flinch when being fired.

So my wife has taken the GP 100 away for "her" gun, but my fall back is the Henry. And I may end up with another GP 100 before it's all over. My buddy has a 6 inch barrel model and I sure like the feel of it.

The GP still shoots whatever I feed it. The Henry is more choosy but that's allowed I guess.
Dharmabumz

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers