>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Uberti 1873 Cattleman Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Uberti 1873 Cattleman Reviews

Postby quikdrawmagraw » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:48 am

quikdrawmagraw

Postby Punisher » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:28 pm

I have an Uberti Cattleman/Chisolm model on layaway at the local Sportsmans Warehouse and hoping to have it home before New Years. Its the matte black model in 4-3/4 barrel. I just love the clean lines of the gun and I hope it will perform as good as it looks.
Punisher

Postby SSK » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:05 pm

I cant directly speak about the Uberti 1873 quality. It is a nice looking gun although I prefer the 1875 Army Outlaw I purchased 12/29 and tried out on my local gun range yesterday. It was my first time shooting a .45 and with a little more practice I think we will be best of friends!

My first impression of the Uberti is that is well made and with a 7.5 inch barrel, I had no problems with the recoil. I personally would be concerned with a 4.75 inch barrel, Punisher, although everyone has their own tastes and certainly Im not one to disparage someones tastes. Will it perform as good as it looks? Based upon my limited experiences, Id say you will be very pleased with your choice! Have fun!
SSK

Postby teknoid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:35 pm

I just ordered one of 1873 Cattleman in the New Millennium (Matte) finish (.45). $299 seemed like a good price, but I have to wait 1 1/2 weeks for it to get here. I'm debating on just buying the case hardened model they have in stock for $355. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait that long, or if the difference in price is even worth it. This one is for fun, and to use on the ccdw test. Anybody actually own one of these? If so, what do you think of them?
teknoid

Postby Punisher » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Teknoid, Let me just say that you are exactly like me and most likely like everyone else on these message boards. Patientce just ain't a virtue....However...to save $60.00...I'd wait the week and a half. Then again..it's only $60.00 more...go buy the color-case hardened model too and enjoy owning BOTH! One can never have too many six-shooters. Now, about using it for the CCW tests. My buddy and I both got ours here in Colorado at the same time. I used a down-and-dirty 1911 clone and he used a Ruger Super Blackhawk. He was ragged merciliessly by the instructors because of his choice for a concealed weapon. Everyone loved the gun but everyone also mentioned it was far too large, heavy and slow, being a single action, for practical defense. Neither of us agree with that. I mean, if we were in Bosnia and under fire from rebels...maybe a single action isn't the way to go. But if you're being stalked on the mean streets of Suburbia, USA, a single action has been getting the job done for over 100 years. No reason why it shouldn't work now. Finding a reasonable concealled set-up for it may be your biggest worry.
Punisher

Postby teknoid » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 am

I don't think I'd carry this one. It's for fun on the range, and the ccw test. I'm thinking of a 9mm to carry, probably a Hi-Point. They're small enough to carry, but big enough to get the job done. The price ain't bad, either. It's between that and a Makarov 9mm. The only thing that worries me about the Makarov is that it doesn't use standard 9mm ammo. I'm still deciding. The local flea market usually has some decent guns. I'm checking that out this weekend to see if they have anything better.
teknoid

Postby quikdrawmagraw » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:41 am

quikdrawmagraw

Postby teknoid » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:12 pm

I just picked up my Uberti NM 1873 .45. Can't wait to try it out now! I think it will go well with the PA-63 9mm Mak. 1 for carry, and one for fun. I'm wondering how much of a kick the .45 will have with a 4 3/4 barrel, but want to find out soon. I have one local supply of 9mm Mak ammo so far, but they're reasonable and always have stock.
teknoid

Postby teknoid » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:02 pm

Finally made it to the range today, and I have to say that I'm glad I bought this. Amazing how a .45 has less kick than my 9mm. Accurate right out of the box, too. Best of all, it makes nice, big, holes. I may use it for the ccw.
teknoid

Postby Crash » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:53 pm

I bought the .357 / 3.5'' Marshall with birds head grips last week. Put 200 handloads through it last weekend from mild to pretty warm. Grips are extremely comfortable and it is as accurate as I could ask for. Its a good looking well finished gun.
Crash

Next

Return to Revolvers