>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Gloc9mm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:41 am

Ding, The LCR is a great little gun with a good trigger pull to practice with. It is rated to use .357 Ammo, so you need not worry about +P Ammo.

As far as the Polymer design, it's actually an aluminum frame covered in polymer for scratch resistance, not a "plastic frame".
Gloc9mm

Postby ding2134 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:11 am

Thank you guys for clearing the air and for the personal opinions. I saw a S&W body guard for the first time after I made my post and it is very nice, suprisingly lightweight. I think I may still lean more towards the more compact choices. Nice to know the LCR is really well built and outperforms other pistols in the same category.
ding2134

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:38 am

@Gloc, the LCR comes in two versions, .38 Spc +P and .357 Magnum. They started with the .38 model and it was so popular that the .357 Mag morphed out of it. I was abit surprised when I found out it wasn't a true polymer frame but evidentially it's a home run for Ruger!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby robert98597 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:44 pm

I have the 38 spl +p version. It could be a handful to shoot a steady diet of +p ammo on the range. It is OK for accuracy. The trigger pull is AWESOME. When i shoot it I fire standard pressure, But when I carry it I load it with +p. good gun
robert98597

Re: Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver Reviews

Postby GOANRA » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:36 pm

I was looking at the Ruger LCR for quite a while. That large trigger guard is nice. The only things holding me back were the sub 2 inch bbl (1.87 in ? dumb place to cut back) and the lack of holsters.
I carried a .357 Mag snubbie for 12 years, on-duty & off-duty, both. It was a Charter Arms "Pug" with 2 in bbl; I put the optional 'snag-free' hammer on it and shot it several times a week. It tool me 12 years to wear that one out and a LOT of (free) ammo.

Last year I got a Charter Arms "On Duty" snubbie, 5 shot revolver with shrouded hammer for DA/SA & no snagging. It uses .38 +P and only weighs 13 ounces. I put the smaller bootgrip on it since I don't use it for range shooting. It conceals sooo well.
The SS & polished aluminum frame scratches easily and I scratched it up good by carrying it in my rear pocket while remodeling a house... not a big deal since it doesn't have much resale value... I only paid $350. for it about 3 years ago.

I just got a Taurus .357 Mag snubbie model 605 Poly, 5 shot with low profile hammer & cylinder release + a fiber optic front sight at 19.75 ozs & comes regular & 2 finger bootgrip.
Good to avoid their pre-2012 models, though.
I'll be using the hard rubber bootgrip and found several boxes of Cor-Bon .357 Mag, 115 gr SJHP (exactly what I wanted). Got some Cor-Bon .357 Mag Pow'rBall for it, too.

The ballistics on good .357 Mag rounds for terminal performance are brutal, but a good .38 +P at self defense range are quite adequate with the right ammo.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Revolvers