>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Taurus, STUCK CYLINDER

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Taurus, STUCK CYLINDER

Postby ricks » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:08 pm

An accidental drop rendered this .38 special with a cylinder that will not release, even disassembled, tapping with pin punch, etc. Anyone have any ideas?
ricks

Re: Taurus, STUCK CYLINDER

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:42 pm

I had to ask, did you ever figure this out? After nearly 2500 views there wasn't one single reply! I'd apologize for the delay but that's kinda late, huh? I hope you considered sending it back to Taurus, they have a lifetime warranty unless you were a second owner. Sometimes they'll overlook that though. After 5 years, if you're still getting notifications on this topic, let me know how it worked out. Take care!

Best, Tig :shock:
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:44 am

Op only had one post 05 Feb 07... guess he didn't wait too long before moving on.

I was a young man when that was posted!!
Anyway, to be fair, this site went offline and had a change of owners and is just now reorganizing.

The stuck cylinder on the Taurus .38 & .357s need to be sent back to Taurus. his problem continued to on degree or another until mid 2011, depending on age of stock.
The Taurus Lifetime Service Guarantee for any Taurus goes with the firearm, not the owner and I have heard they are very good about replacing enough parts to prevent a return visit.

Recently, I bought a new 2 in, 5 shot, 2012 Taurus 'Poly Protector' in .357 Mag as it is post 2011 and with the Corbon Silver Pow'rballs, 80 gr .357, It gets 1600fps with 455 ft-lbs energy fron a 2 in bbl.
Max expansion is guaranteed with the "Poly" ball to open the JHP and cause a max wound channel with the lead, which is compressed #6 shot in a copper jacket. The 'ball' also prevents clogging of the HP.

I was looking at the .44Special in the CA Bulldog, but I didn't see the ft-lbs of energy (Power) of the amazing .357 Mag.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 am

I've had cylinder problems with two Taurus revolvers, one Model 85 CIA and a 94. The warranty process was the worst I've ever experienced. After nearly 6 months the 85 came back fixed, the 94 is still a pain. They did not pay shipping to the factory and both were within limits. They mentioned that they would have to determine the cause before paying the incoming shipping. They stated in both cases that I should've cleaned them!! Really, me?? They were barely used and were cleaner when I sent them back than they were when they came out of the box new! Evidently that was reason enough to deny shipping costs. I got rid of them both. If you get a good one, you're probably safe. Otherwise I hope luck is on your side, because I feel they have a long way to go before I would consider their repair service where it should be after all these years.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Fortunately, the taurus forum is stating a 3-5 week turn around with good results.
Oddly, several folks were told their revolvers had "carbon build up" with lock-up failures after only 1 or 2 rounds... plus, they cleaned the thing before sending it in.
One fellow was cocking hammer while pulling trigger (unloaded) on his still unfired revolver and it 'locked-up' on him.... he was WAY unhappy when Taurus told him about 'carbon build-up and not being clean'.

I got a new P85 'Titanium' years ago. Zero problems and it has no finish. The frame, bbl, hammer, cylinder & trigger just have that natural-goldish-patina-looking color to it. Looks Great.

They discontinued them, too bad. But they prob went through too many bits & grinding-wheels on that stuff to make a profit. It sure won't rust or pit. It is a 17.0 oz. 5 shot, +P.

I have been VERY fortunate as I have never once had to send any of my firearms in for service.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Return to Revolvers