>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Sorry to hear about the lack of reliability with your pistol. I've heard other stories about failures in this little gun. I carry a Seecamp and have never had a single problem. I recommend it highly!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ZUMA » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 am

Love the Freedom P3AT. I have put 500 rounds through it. I wanted to really get to know this gun because I am carrying it. I have the Crimson Laser, makes a big difference. Quick aquisition. It took a little practice to get my accuracy. it is light and you have to shoot it to get to know it. I practice with one hand and two for emergency situations. Nice and light to carry!! I had no issues except it can be picky with ammo. I bought some cheap Hungarian rounds that it could not punch. But all branded ammo is fine. Unfortunately 380 is hard to find. When I can I by as much as I can. Great little gun. I also added Hogue slip on rubber for better grip because it is small.
ZUMA

Postby diamondoug » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

I noticed some people having trouble w/their p3at. Don't use white box ammo from Walmart for sure and try out some other ammo brands before you start gunsmithing.

Also, just send in your pistol if it needs work and do not tell them that you "fluffed and buffed" it. I contacted Keltec by email and was given instructions for sending it too them. (Mine was heavily worked over too.)

I purchased a used pistol with some issues and mailed it too them in the original box and the gun came back with a new slide.

It seemed to shoot unreliably until I changed ammo. I like mine now. Mine likes hollow points and shoots better for me with a finger extension.
diamondoug

Postby cometkid » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 pm

gun-nut21, I am also sorry to hear about your P3AT problems. First; I agree with the other members that ammo selection can make a big difference. As a NRA handgun instructor I see all types of handguns. Most are sensitive to ammo selection and the grip used. It is in everyone's best interest to test all the readily available ammo for your caliber. Accuracy and reliability can be greatly impacted by ammo selection. My P3AT just loves the Remington UMC ball and personal protection ammo. I own, regularly carry, and frequently shoot my P3AT without problems. It has a laser mounted to it and I would not go without a laser again. This gun is capable of shooting small groups well beyond distances commonly accepted as "self defense" range. Last weekend I provided handgun instruction to a women with minimal handgun experience. She shot about 30 rounds from my P3AT at an 8" circular target from 15 to 25 feet and never missed a circle target about 8" in diameter and with no reliability issues. Often her 3 to 4 shot groups were in the 3" to 4" range.

Second; If ammo selection does not improve the temperament of your P3AT, I strongly suggest sending it back for repair. Kel-Tec's service is second to none as far as I am concerned. Give Kel-Tec a chance and keep an open mind.
cometkid

Postby GOANRA » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:33 pm

I used mine as an 'on-duty backup' and it was great. Now I'm retired and have 2. Both work 100% for the past 150 rounds. Good point about using adequate ammo. The BTHP is my choice [ballistic tip hollow point]. Too perfect with the pocket clip.

I've run some +Ps thru both, but not a good idea. My wife has tiny/weak little hands, but is good for 30 ft.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tackstrp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:00 pm

have put few hundred reloads thru my p3at freedon editon with the crimson trace. At first i was very disappointed because i did not understand the long trigger reset and consequently I got a lot of light strikes. My reloads seem to work as good as commerial ammo. only purchased one box, of Aquilla, just to compare with my reloads.

I hope that i can get used to the trigger reset. Also have a Seecamp on cosignment at gun store. Hope sells soon. Will replace the Seecamp pistol with a Sig 238. Really like that lazer. what a difference. If i can get confortable that the Kel tec will go bang on command i will skip buying the Sig 238 and get another Glock.

As a final note, I think that Kel Tec with newer guns have the fieeding issue corrected.
tackstrp

Postby chuckroast » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 pm

I love this gun. I still carry it over the LCP. This thing is just a work horse. I clean mine in the dishwasher! Really. And I now have over 1000 rds thru it.

Great gun reviews @: www.pocket-defense.com
chuckroast

Postby ripman » Sun May 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Ok, so back from the range today. I went 2 days ago, as well. Good thing is, 50 rounds, not one failure to eject. Used Magtech! Bad thing was, my big hands (actually thumb), kept sliding down and ejecting the clip.

Today I was able to grip the gun better. No clip ejecting. But I did have two failure to ejects. My guess is, I should clean this gun, after every time I shoot it! The gun fires well and I like the small size for carry. On those hot days, with little clothing, this is my gun of choice!

Rip
ripman

Postby 2ndAmendment_supporter » Thu May 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Short review: don't buy it. The price is alright but that is about it.

Long Review:I own one of these, and anyone who askes I suggest buying a better weapon. I can not say it was a good choice for a CCW. I bought this right after I got my CCW and thought it would make a nice carry weapon. Silly me bought one without firing one. I have not made that mistake since then. This is a bad choice for a primary CCW weapon, and still a bad choice as a backup weapon. I have frequent jams (regardless if it has just been cleaned or not) I have even polished the feed ramp, still jams. I have about 250 - 300 rounds through it, each time I use it I expect at least one jam. I have used different ammo with this and FMJ Winchesters seem to feed the best. Since I have switched to those I normally only get one jam every three clips. At first I thought it was an issue with the clips so I went and bought 2 new ones and marked the original.. Well the jams occured regardless of what clip I was using. I tried only loading 5 rounds still jammed. I am going to be keeping this one at home in the drawer, as a last resort I know I can effectively throw it at an intruder. While they worry about what I threw I will be linning up with something more reliable.
2ndAmendment_supporter

Postby tackstrp » Fri May 21, 2010 12:07 am

An update on my Kel tec mis advaenture. I could not get used to the long tirger reset. If not for that it would be a keeper. Is on Consignment. Will buy a Colt Detective special , which is six chots of 38 special. Looked at the Sig P238 and for the price i can buy a Glock 26.27 or 29 cheaper. I like guns that go bang when i put the tirgger and willing to bet my life it will.

Over all like but just cant get the hang of the trigger reset. To many bad habits.
tackstrp

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols