>
Board Index Getting Started New Gun Owners

Do I need a gun? How do you decide?

A place for people new to the firearm community to ask questions.

Postby MustangLX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:10 pm

razr, I like your analogy of "mechanical sculpture". Although I became familiar with firearms at a young age, my biggest love was cars, followed by motorcycles, and later on Peterbilts.

But during that time, I've always owned a gun or two and in the last decade or so the number of guns I own has surpassed the number of Mustangs I have ever owned.

I've grown to love the mechanical simplicity of a revolver, which I equate to an old, bare bones Harley. No fairings or gauges. The exposed engine and tranny revealing the essential basics of a functioning machine.

I have always refered to my long, polished .44 mag as my "coffee table gun". Too big to carry concealed, but enjoy displaying it occasionally.

From this point forward, the word "sculpture" will come to mind whenever I handle it.
MustangLX

Postby ulgydog56 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 pm

ya its a addiction, being a mechanical contrator,I love all machines and the ones that go bang.....
ulgydog56

Postby Gloc9mm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 am

In this day and age, I personally like to look at weapons as necessary tools. You may want every type of tool made, yet hope and pray you never need to use one!
Gloc9mm

Postby grotto213 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:45 am

I buy my guns at gun shows. Fins them here: http://www.gunshowsnow.com
grotto213

Postby ecurrent » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Brian,

I carry but with great trepidation and steel determination. I was raised hunting for food, am former military, and basically an old fart closer to 100 than zero. I have pulled a weapon on a man only once in half a century (while on Quarterdeck watch US Navy). He decided to live. I thank God I never had to kill anyone. As my Seal friend said... "You carry your ghosts".

I recommend you take a CCW course (Carry Concealed Weapon). It will give you the pros AND cons to owning and carrying a weapon.
ecurrent

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 pm

@ecurrent, welcome to the forum! I read your post and want to tell you that it was one of the best descriptions and explanations of CCW responsibility I've read. I particularly like the comment from your Seal friend. That statement means alot, especially from a Warrior like that. Thanks!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby razr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Well Said!
razr

Postby eisen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 pm

shooting for me is about 80% pleasure and 20% insurance, i don't like crime and all the stupid stuff people do to support their bad habits, nice and or good people put up with it by putting locks,fences,bars,and all the security stuff into theirs lives. just to keep this nasty stuff at bay. and when mean people step up they bad behavior to include bodily harm to me or my family its high time to show them a boundary and a price ,they must pay, i'm to old to fist fight bad boys,and i can not afford a body guard, police and sheriff depts are cutting back on personel big time in this area, and i can not pretend that the guy who invaded my house via locked bed room window did this by accident. we live in a nice neighbor hood,with nice people, it did happen here, nice is on the bad guys menu.we are the prey, if this has not been a problem for u YET congradulations, do u know for certain that it will Never Happen To u .
eisen

Postby GOANRA » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:20 pm

The question is rarely 'Do' I need a gun, but 'WILL' I Need a Gun?

Also, it is not, 'HOW' do you decide, but 'WHEN'.

My thinking is, I WILL need a gun and the time to decide is BEFORE your home is invaded, car is 'jacked', loved ones raped &/or killed, government tyranny takes your home and freedoms away, etc.

I've known of countless people (may they rest in peace) who thought they would never need to protect themselves.

Hundreds of others must live with the memories of rapes, robberies, beatings, being maimed, etc.

ALL in the Detroit area. One of the worst I've seen as an LEO was at 12 mile & Haggerty... nice neighborhood.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to New Gun Owners